Tuesday, January 8, 2013

MORE FRIENDS.....

The more I think about past 'friends', the more I think that Self Promotion, or rather preservation,  is just part of human nature. Let's look at... I’ll call him… LP.

I worked with him at two companies.

Then I took a great contract that paid exceptionally well, where I had to put together a team for a long running project. Since it required software and organizational skills, and I thought of LP. He was thrilled since it paid double what he was currently making.

Everything was going smoothly until it was mentioned that the company was thinking of bringing one of us on permanently. LP wasn’t comfortable with contracts and wanted a permanent position. I made it clear that I didn’t want it, but that’s when everything changed.

He suddenly had unscheduled meetings with department heads, lunches, and a lot of whispering. Although I was the Project Team Manager, people started going to him, even though he had no decision-making authority and was not a project manager.

The project finished, I moved on to another, but that was the last time I saw or spoke to LP. He had been the right person for the team and I wanted to help him, but he betrayed our friendship, and for what? I didn’t want the job and made it clear from the beginning.

Is it just human nature to be competitive even if there’s no contest? We had some good times together, but to me, trust is everything. Sad.
Don't buy into the self preservation thing, unless it's absolutely necessary. I"m not talking about self-sacrifice, martyrs never survive. I'm talking about helping / mentoring others, as long as its not to your own determent. 
Simple, huh? 
PEACE, Sisters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment